Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Eating Healthy at Chipotle

Wherever you are reading this post from, there is probably a chipotle within 10 miles of you. Since opening its first location in 1993, Chipotle owner and creator, Steve Ells, has been committed to serving "food with integrity". You can watch Steve explain his mission on Nightline here. It truly is comforting to know that there are fast food chain owners out there who actually care about what Americans are putting in their bodies on a daily basis. Today, the ingredients used to make your favorite burrito are sustainably raised and produced.

I am a vegetarian (or pescetarian?) but I am so hugely impressed with the information I learned about the meat Chipotle uses in its restaurants. 100% of the pork is sourced from farmers who abide by very strict guidelines to raise their pigs in a natural way. That means the pigs are kept in normal environments, fed a vegetarian diet, and never ever ever ever fed hormones. The same goes for 100% of the chicken and beef used by Chipotle. No growth hormones or antibiotics allowed. Even the dairy cattle used are not allowed to have been given any rBGH (a very scary hormone used by commercial dairy farms to make their cows produce more milk). 

AND if that's not enough, they were the first fast food chain to stop using oil with trans fat to cook their food. HOORAY FOR CHIPOTLE! Thank you for not poisoning us!!!

Honestly, before doing research for this post, I had no idea that Chipotle was so committed to their mission of serving "food with integrity". I am so hugely impressed that I will venture to say that if there is one fast food place I would recommend to people, Chipotle is that one. 

BUT with that being said, that doesn't mean that every burrito or taco you get is going to be healthy necessarily. SO with a little help from Chipotle's online nutrition calculator,  here is what I have deemed the healthiest ways you can order at Chipotle. *spoiler alert-none of this includes a bag of chips and guac* 

1. SALAD-you knew I was going to say it. Yes, a salad is the healthiest place to start because you automatically are cutting down the carbohydrates. But I promise you can make your Chipotle meal equally as epic with a salad as you were about to do with that burrito. 

2. PROTEIN- As far as protein goes, you need some. If you're going for highest protein to calorie ratio, I would go with the chicken (180 calories and 32 grams of protein per serving)!

 However, if you are like me and don't eat chicken, or if you just don't feel like eating chicken that day, definitely go with the sofritas!! I am most excited about this because it's Chipotle's newest addition to the menu! The sofritas is basically organic tofu that has been braised with chipotle chiles, pablano peppers, and spices. It definitely has a kick to it that I love. As far as nutritional value goes, it's the lowest in calories (145 cals/serving) but the sodium content is a little high for my liking (555mg/serving) and the amount of protein isn't nearly as the chicken (only 8 g/serving). I'd definitely still give it a try though!! 

As far as the "worst" protein to choose, I would say the barbecue and the carnitas. They have the worst calorie to protein ratio (carnitas are the highest calorically with 220 cals/serving), and they are both high in sodium. So maybe just try to avoid those two. 

3. RICE- This should really go without saying but I'll remind you anyway....get the brown rice. Way more nutritional value than white rice. I promise. 

4. ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS- 
DO get black beans- they are a great source of fiber and protein! 
DO get the fajita veggies 
IF you want to get a salsa, your best bet is the tomatillo green chili salsa (lowest sodium content by far!!) 

I personally have the hardest time resisting the guacamole but unless you want to add on an extra 230 calories to your salad, I'd stay away from that heavenly green stuff. Maybe for a splurge every once in a while, but don't make it a habit. 

Cheese I am definitely a fan of, it'll cost you an extra 100 cals but it's not the end of the world if you choose to add it on. And don't forget the BONUS-all dairy products used by Chipotle are free of that nasty rBGH stuff! 

Sour cream...ehhh...I'm not a big sour cream person anyway so I'd say no just on personal preference, but it's kind of like the cheese. If you really feel like you can't enjoy this salad without it, then why the hell not. But in general, sour cream doesn't get the best nutritional rep because of it's high in calories and saturated fat.

Vinaigrette is a no go sir. Adds 270 cals/serving and boasts the highest sodium of all the other toppings (850 mg!!!). If that wasn't bad enough, there's a good amount of sugar in there too (12g). There is almost nothing redeeming about the vinaigrette. I promise you don't need it. 

*Notice the coloring of the ingredients! 
Green=You're doing great, order on!
Yellow=Be cautious! I won't kill you for ordering it, but I'm not proud of you either 
Red=NO! Nononononononono. If you order it, I'll be really disappointed in you, reader. I taught you better than that....


I hope this was a helpful post!! Overall, I think Chipotle is a great organization and fast food chain so I'm thrilled to be providing you with some healthy options. Comment below with any questions or other comments! As always, I love hearing from y'all :D 


*I was not contacted or compensated by Chipotle to write this post. All opinions are fully my own.*



17 comments:

  1. live happy
    eat well
    sleep enough
    exercise n play regularly
    Parasites

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will make an attempt to do this the next time I get chipotle, because I trust you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valuable site, where did u come up with the information in this posting? I am pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what new content pieces u have.
    Pore Minimizer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Post is very informative,It helped me with great information so I really believe you will do much better in the future.
    steroizi de vanzare

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came across to reading your blog it serve very useful information about the interiors thank u
    Manual handling training

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude.. I am not much into reading, but somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. Its amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often.
    physiotherapy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very informative site, i must bookmark it, keep posting interesting articles...
    Utah Drug Treatment Center

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved reading your thoughts, obviously you know what are you talking about! Your site is so easy to use too, I’ve bookmark it in my folder
    donations

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very informative site, i must bookmark it, keep posting interesting articles...
    premed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its wonderful, looking at the time and effort you put into your weblog and detailed information you provide. I'll bookmark your weblog and visit it weekly for your new posts.
    Absence management

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really very interesting and very valuable information about the health and good health is a everything.
    EEG

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think most people would agree with your article. I am going to bookmark this web site so I can come back and read more articles. Keep up the good work!
    corruption behind fake medicines

    ReplyDelete
  13. I continuously continue coming to your website once more simply in case you have posted new contents.
    Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Post is very useful, I am truly happy to post my note on this blog . It helped me with ocean of awareness so I really consider you will do much better in the future.
    diabetes mellitus

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent Blog and very interesting information about the kids health and care i like your work well done.
    Mechical Technologies

    ReplyDelete
  16. It depends on what you get. Chipotle can be a fairly healthy restaurant, so long as you avoid the white rice, the chips, and the tortillas. You don't have to stop going to Chipotle, but if you want to improve your health, leave the rice out of your burrito bowl next time, and get water instead of diet soda.
    women's health

    ReplyDelete