Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Amazing Truth About Flaxseed.

As you have probably noticed, I love breakfast and never skip it. Something that always goes along with my breakfast is ground flaxseed. I add it to almost any breakfast item that I make. It has a subtle nutty flavor, but doesn't really make the food taste any different in my opinion. It doesn't make it look particularly pretty at all. So why do I do it? Because it's SO good for you and SO easy to incorporate into your daily diet.

Here are the facts I learned about flaxseed that inspired me to add it to my breakfast each morning:

  • It is a low-carb, whole grain 
  • It is the best plant source for omega-3 fat (good fat!) like those found in salmon and avocado
  • It has a ton of fiber (both soluble and insoluble) which helps stabilize blood sugar and promotes healthy digestion
  • It prevents high-cholesterol 
  • Studies have shown that consuming flaxseed can can greatly reduce breast cancer odds and possibly even promote fertility because of the massive amount of lignans that it contains. Lignans are a type of antioxidant that converts in our intestines to a substance that can balance female hormones.
To use it, you can just mix it in with any other foods you choose. I like to add it to my hot cereal or yogurt for breakfast. You can also add it to smoothies, omelettes, peanut butter, etc. It can even be used as an egg substitute in baking because of it's high soluble fiber content. 

I buy flaxseed already ground up--"flaxseed meal", but you can also buy whole flax seed, which keeps longer. If you buy the flaxseed meal, then make sure to keep it in the fridge or freezer so it doesn't go bad as quickly.


I buy different brands of flaxseed meal depending on what the store has. It can always be found at health food stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes, but I've noticed that more and more regular grocery stores are starting to carry it also. Check their baking section!

Okay enough about all of that. On to today's eats and gym time. 

Breakfast- 

After a nice morning of sleeping in a little bit, I woke up very hungry and cold (I swear I am always cold). The perfect fix to this predicament? Stovetop Oat Bran made with Light Silk vanilla soy milk, agave, and flaxseed mixed in! Berries and cinnamon on top! I also mixed in some Kashi Heart to Heart cereal for a little added crunch. 

Lunch- My breakfast was later than usual and kept me full all day. I went to the gym and then the beach for the rest of the afternoon so by the time my stomach started to growl again, it was 5pm. A farmers market Key Lime Pie granola bar was the perfect hold-me-over. Here's the link to the website of the woman who makes the bars- The Dinner Belle (such a great name too!). She's a caterer/personal chef. I just think her business looks so cute! I wish I would have known about it earlier in the summer. 

Dinner-


I'm back in Stone Harbor tonight working at a coffee shop. There's a restaurant around the corner called Green Cuisine. They make tons of great salads, wraps, and other vegetarian entrĂ© options. I chose the "Stone Harbor Salad" with salmon on top. It was perfect! I also had a hazelnut coffee from the coffee shop and an apple to accompany my salad. 

Today's workout: 

It all started with a fast 4 miles. 


And then I slowed way down for the next 3.48 miles so that I could read some of my addicting book.  7.5 miles total! Not too shabby!


Then I finished things off with a quickie circuit: 

Complete cycle 3X through!
50 jumping jacks
5 pushups 
20 sit-ups
20 mountain climbers
30 second plank
10 burpees 

Try and do each exercise back to back with no rests in between. I took a 30 second rest in between each cycle. 

Hope everyone is having a good week! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment