Friday, June 14, 2013

Summer Fruits, Meals, and a Burpee Workout

Happy Friday! Hope everyone had a great week and has fun plans for the weekend! I'm very excited for my Saturday/Sunday (but more on that in my next post). For now, it's been pretty much the same old stuff, but I have pictures and info to share none the less!

Food first!! 


One of the best parts of summer is all of the fruits and veggies are in season. I've been taking full advantage of that, and even downed a whole cantaloup in a 24 hour period. 

Cantaloup is honestly one of the best fruits out there. This one was so ripe and sweet that it tasted like cotton candy...only better!
Here's a pretty comprehensive list of fruits that are in-season during the summer: 

 June  -   July  -  August

Apricots
Asian Pear
Barbados Cherries
Black Currants
Blackberries
Blueberries
Boysenberries
Breadfruit
Cantaloupe
Casaba Melon
Champagne Grapes
Cherries
Cherries, Sour
Crenshaw Melon
Durian
Elderberries
Figs
Grapefruit
Grapes
Honeydew Melons
Jackfruit
Key Limes
Limes
Loganberries
Longan
Loquat
Lychee
Mulberries
Nectarines
Olallieberries
Passion Fruit
Peaches
Persian Melon
Plums
Raspberries
Sapodillas
Sapote
Strawberries
Sugar Apple
Watermelon
I've actually never even heard of some of those fruits before...what even is a Sapote? a Loquat? Longan? Someone fill me in before I have to start googling it.

In other news, my mom came to visit again at the beginning of this week to help out with some more apartment things. After an afternoon of errands, we grabbed an fancy lunch (unintentionally...we didn't know the place was so nice until we were already inside and seated) at Alchemy

We started with fresh made hummus with warm pita points (unpictured). Both my mom and I agreed that it was the probably in the top 3 of best hummus we've ever had.

I got the beat salad with grilled salmon. It was pretty epic.

My mom got a fresh greens salad with bruléd avocado...sounds weird, but I had a bite and really loved the crispy sweetness that the avocados had.  

Back in the real world of my own homemade meal concoctions, I made this really good salad last night. It included kale, chickpeas (rinsed from a can), 1/2 a cut up apple, goat cheese, and pomegranite dressing. The rest of the apple with MaraNatha almond butter and a little homemade popcorn completed the meal. 


I may go home and make this for lunch today...

For Wednesday night's dinner I cooked some quinoa and then in the last ten minutes of cooking I put in some kale leaves and brussel sprouts I had baked in the oven (brussel sprouts + olive oil + sea salt--> into the oven for 15-20 minutes at 350). This was a great way to add a little flavor/greens to the sometimes flavor-deficient quinoa. Warm tomato soup on the side. 

Breakfast of champions. Siggi's pomegranate+passion fruit yogurt and a Van's whole grain waffle. 

In workout news, things have been the same as always although I'm still working on incorporating sprint intervals into my runs as well as upping my strength training. I plan on trying this workout tomorrow morning: 

As far as workouts go, there's probably nothing I dislike more than burpees. But there really good to do because they get your heart rate going really fast. So I'm making myself complete this as a personal goal. Who knows, maybe I'll like burpees more after completing it...not likely..

Other than that, I've just been studying away at Orgo (aka-the hardest class I think I've ever had to suffer through) 

And also there was a casual severe thunderstorm yesterday that warranted tornado warnings in the Baltimore area....this keeps happening lately and I really don't like it. 

Ominous sky at 8:30 am ... not normal...

Well someone's tired...I think I'll take a little power nap before heading to the library for the night :/ Friday night study session..WOOHOO..trying to contain my enthusiasm. 

Ps- Check out this website called Food Babe. It's really informative and the author is doing some really cool stuff in the food industry right now, like fighting KRAFT on their use of artificial food dyes and GMOs in their Mac and Cheese. She's also just super healthy and has a lot of great advice! 




No comments:

Post a Comment