Monday, June 30, 2014

Food Food Food : Smoothies & Sandwiches

It's been a little while since I did a post dedicated to food updates so here's a look at my eats as of late! 

Smoothies!-In Baltimore's blistering humidity, there's nothing better than a refreshingly cool smoothie made with real fruit. 
Strawberry banana and peach mango smoothies from Milk and Honey--a local food market deli and cafĂ© in Mt. Vernon 

This is the "Agent Orange" smoothie from Liquid Earth--a vegan/raw restaurant in Fells Point that specializes in fresh pressed juices, smoothies, and of course vegan and raw food options that are amazing. I always say that if I could make things like they do at Liquid Earth, then I could easily be vegan. You don't even miss the cheese!!

Sandwiches!-For whatever reason, I've been really craving sandwiches lately. Usually a big salad or wrap sounds better to me but sandwiches have been my main jam this month.
This is a 3-seed health bread, avocado, tomato, and arugula toasted panini from Milk and Honey. It was seriously spectacular. I would have one every day if I lived closer. 

Out to Dinner!- Went with two friends to this great local B'More restaurant called Ryleigh's Oyster Bar. I'm not a huge fan of raw oysters, which is of course their specialty. But the rest of their food is great too. It's a laid back bar type atmosphere...perfect for watching the world cup games while enjoying delicious food that is well above bar quality. I will definitely be going back there soon!
We started with their grilled octopus appetizer that came with roasted red bell peppers and balsamic glaze. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the octopus was cooked. It wasn't too chewy at all. 


We obviously had to get an order of the cheesy crab pretzel...another one of their famous appetizers. I told myself only to have one bite but come on...IT'S A CHEESY CRAB PRETZEL for crying out loud! We easily devoured those guys.

Main course: seared scallops with brown rice and lemon aioli. Another slam dunk. I know that scallops can be a bit controversial because of their texture but I love 'em. I actually could have had a few more than the three they served me :P 

Yet again, another sandwich. I picked up some sunflower spelt bread from the market and have been using it for my sandwiches these past couple of weeks. Between the bread went homemade tuna salad, hummus, goat cheese, and mixed lettuce. Apple on the side per usual.

And less than a week later, I was back at Liquid Earth for lunch with friends. I had the "powerhouse sandwich" which included tomatoes, sprouts, munster cheese, and mushrooms on multigrain bread. For being a traditionally vegan restaurant, they threw a giant piece of cheese on my sandwich, but I wasn't complaining. 

Random fruit salad for breakfast one morning.

The BEST homemade dinner I've made in a while: Feta and artichoke stuffed peppers! We used this recipe but subbed quinoa for the rice. They were so easy to make and packed in a punch of flavor with a spicy kick from the chili flakes. I will most definitely be making this dish over and over again.

So there's the eats of the past few weeks! I'm off to Cape May, NJ in a couple of days to celebrate the 4th with my family at the beach. Updates to come from there :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment