Friday, May 31, 2013

Scenes of Summer

After a pleasant mini break in Myrtle Beach, SC, it was time to head back to Baltimore and back to reality. 


This summer, reality means class for 5-6 hours a day + moving into an apartment + a part-time internship + trying to keep up with workouts in this crazy hot and humid Baltimore weather.... should be quite the challenge. 

So far here's what the past week of "summer" has looked like: 

Good-bye dinner with Joey (he's heading up to Maine for the summer) at Pratt Street Ale House. I ordered their pear salad that comes with grilled chicken, blue cheese, and dried cranberries. It was surprisingly delicious and just goes to show that you can get delicious healthy food at places that don't necessarily cater to the health conscious (aka-an ale house). 

I've been craving cold yogurt and berries in the morning. Lately it's been either Chobani or Siggi's with berries, flax, and low fat granola that I picked up from Fresh Market. 

Since I have class most of the day, I have to pack a lunch and eat it during my break. Lately it's been mixed greens with whatever I have left in the fridge + a side of fruit or more veggies (with hummus). I 
I also pack snacks with me for throughout the day munchies. Again with the Siggi's (can't get enough of these 100 calorie, protein packed yogurts), and I also usually have an apple with almond butter or a baggie of trail mix stowed away in my backpack. 

Dinner this week has been all over the place. I'm really trying to use up whatever I have left laying around before I move (tomorrow-yikes!). Yesterday it was quinoa+ broccoli with a side of apple, carrots +hummus, and there may have been some popcorn munching late that night. 

As far as workouts go, I haven't been able to spend as much time in the gym, so when I get there I like to make every second count. Hence, the sprint workouts I've been doing. 




Sprinting is an awesome way to really rev up your heart rate and get the sweat dripping right from the get go. I usually do a 5 minute warm up (6-6.5 pace). My sprint sets differ depending on the day. Sometimes I alternate between sprinting for 1 minute and slowing it down for two minutes. Some days  I base my sprints on distance and sprint 400 meters, then cool it down for the next 400 meters. It really just depends on the day and what my aim is. The less time I have to spend working out, the more apt I am to pick the 400 meter sprints. 

After sprint sets (which I have been trying to incorporate about every other day at the gym), I usually do a cool down on the stationary bike and lots of stretching. The first day after I did sprints (it had really been a while),  I was more sore than I have been in months. Moral of the story-don't skimp on the stretching like I did at first.

More happenings...
MOVING. It is the most stressful thing in the world. I can barely move around in my tiny dorm room right now. You should see me try and get ready in the mornings with about two feet of free space...it's quite comical. 

Other than that it's been all organic chemistry and iced dirty chais...I guess that's the story of the summer for now. 

Check back in a few days for a post about making the fluffiest of egg-whites--as requested by a very good friend :) 

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment