Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Baking!

Happy Tuesday!

Last night I told myself I was going to get up early this morning and head to the gym...didn't happen. I couldn't fall asleep last night until 3am so when my alarm went off at 8 and I looked outside to see it was a cold a dreary day here on the Jersey Shore, I turned that alarm right off and curled back up under the covers. My eyes didn't open again until 9:30 when I finally willed myself out of bed because my stomach was grumbling. What do you know I had my usual grapenuts, berries, and almond milk this morning. Sorry I've been in such a rut with my morning meal! Usually I'm not so boring, but I hadn't had time to get to the store to by anything new...until today!!

There are few things I love more than grocery shopping
This trip to the store occurred after a quick workout at the gym.

A quick 4 miles before doing ab work and lots of squats and lunges! 

When I got home from the gym and store, I got right to baking these delicious things...

Whole wheat oatmeal muffins with berries. Mini muffins have dark chocolat chips instead of berries :)




The awesome thing about these muffins is that they taste amazing, but aren't bad for you! I'll post the recipe below (from a healthy food blogger) so you guys can try them out! I highly recommend them. Even the guys in the house like them!..and since when do boys like anything healthy??





  • 1 and 1/4c. oats (quick cooking)
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1/2c. whole-wheat flour
  • 1/3c. sugar (I used agave nectar instead)
  • 1/4c. brown sugar, unpacked
  • 1 tbl. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg (I used an egg white substitute) 
  • 1c. fat-free milk (I used almond milk)
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2/3c. frozen raspberries and blackberries
  • Cooking spray




Instructions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a medium-sized bowl.
  3. In a smaller bowl, combine the egg, milk, and vanilla, and agave (if that's what you're using) 
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir together just until moist (over-mixing can cause unpleasant texture).
  5. Mix the frozen berries with 1 tbl. flour until they are coated. Fold berries gently into the batter, making sure they are evenly distributed
  6. Spray a 6-cup muffin pan with cooking spray, and fill each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way full with batter 
  7. Place the muffins in the oven and cook for about 20-25 minutes: this changes depending on where you live and such, so make sure to keep an eye on them! (Tip: To test if they are done, either stick a toothpick in and see if it comes out clean, or touch the top of the muffin and if it springs back it is ready).


Here's the link to Healthy Bites, which is the blog that I got this recipe from! There are so many things on there that I want to try.

Since I obviously had to try the batter several times(*perks of baking*), and had a few bites of muffin fresh out of the oven, I wasn't very hungry for lunch yet and it was getting late so I decided to just snack on some fruits and veggies with hummus to hold me over until dinner.

yes that is a piece of muffin hanging out on the edge of my plate....

That's it!! I need to go shower...still haven't done that...oopsies. Go bake something!!







No comments:

Post a Comment